Choosing an abseil company/ provider?

abseil companyWelcome to our dedicated website to the Charity Abseil sector. We have been working in this industry for over 17 years now and have some advice to give to you regarding the provider you choose.

We believe all event organisers should be aware of the basic qualifications surrounding our industry and what makes us safe to work with your supporters and clients.

Tips for 2011 Charity abseil events.

Abseil Insurance/ Event insurance:

Many companies that accept work as abseil event providers have inadequate insurance. Many one man bands have insurance that covers them as instructors individually, but won't cover their colleagues (working under them) or the building for damage, quite often they won't even have employers liability - so best check this asap if you are shopping around for the best deal. We have experience of taking over events at short notice because of this common issue which is found out at the last minute when the documents are checked by the site/ building owner. 

Qualifications and experience:

If you choose an inexperienced company or individual you may find safety issues arise, so we can advise that any provider you consider should have at least an MIA (Mountaineering Instructor Award) or MIC (Mountaineering Instructor Certificate) both qualifications are recognised as technical experts in the field and as such are senior instructor qualifications as our National Governing Body (the BMC) recommend.
The blue AMI badge you see above prove suitability and only companies run by members of this professional association may use or display the AMI logo.
Trainee instructors are not allowed to use the logo on their websites.

Experience is everything - but everyone has to start somewhere!
We at Rock and Ice continually provide training opportunities for junior instructors, and have hundreds of safe and successful events behind us. We at Rock and Ice also have ex steeplejacks on our books who are also senior instructors who carry out risk assessments and assess the buildings for suitability.

Working with minors and the AALA (Adventure Activities Licensing
Outdoor pursuits providers, including abseil companies are regulated by the AALA (Adventure Activities Licensing
- If they are not on the register the should not be working with any minors for profit. The AALA logo is also shown on providers websites who have been checked out and hold a licence.
Some newer companies are not aware they are breaking the law by working with minors for profit without a current licence.

This is our licence information:

Richard Hogan T/A Rock
and Ice is certified by the AALA (Adventure Activities Licensing
Authority) to perform the following activities:

Rock Climbing
- Multi Pitch
Gorge Scrambling
Tyrolean Traverse
Hill Walking & Mountaineering
Summer conditions only.

recognises that other activities which do not come within scope of
the AALA Regulations 1996.

Richard Hogan trading as Rock and Ice is also certified to provide specified adventure activities
to young people under the age of 18 years.

number: L4596/R1374